Completion year 2016
The Old Perth Boys School was constructed in 1854 and was the first purpose-built public school in Perth.
Designed by Richard Roach Jewell in Gothic Revival style, it was extended in the 1860’s and remained in use as an educational facility for over 130 years. It is a single storey limestone building with a steeply pitched roof and narrow vertical buildings. WGE were involved in restoring and updating services to enable use as office space.
The Old Perth Boys School is listed in the Register of the National Estate by the Australian Heritage Commission and is classified by the National Trust (WA) and consequently all works had to be undertaken in a way not to harm any elements of heritage significance, and be in sympathy with the character of the building. The heritage nature of the building meant that all proposed openings in the building’s fabric had to be approved by the National Trust architects.
Project design challenges: