The $2 billion Fiona Stanley Hospital is the largest building project ever undertaken by the WA State Government. This new health care facility is the major tertiary hospital in the south metropolitan area of Perth providing 783 beds including a 140-bed $225.7m State rehabilitation service.
The hospital includes the following:
- 150,000sqm of floor space over five main buildings
- 6300 rooms in the main building
- 83% single patient rooms in the main hospital
- State-of-the-art technology built into every level of the hospital
- 3600sqm basement, ground level and multi-storey car parking
- Major trauma centre
- 20 operating theatres
- New state burns unit
- New secure mental health unit
- State rehabilitation service
- Approximately 400 inpatient beds
- 4 bunker radiation oncology
- Imaging unit
- Central energy plant building
Many initiatives implemented within the scope of WGE provided services that contributed to this hospital being one of Australia’s most technologically advanced hospitals. Such initiatives include:
- Utilisation of lighting control systems to provide greater control and energy efficient solutions
- A structured cabling system that truly incorporates all extra low voltage cabled services (not just the conventional voice and data). The system utilises a distributed consolidation point solution to provide a greater degree of flexibility
- A power infrastructure network which utilises diesel generators, gas co-generation plants and extensive load shedding capabilities to provide an enhanced level of redundancy
- Innovative lighting solutions to create a distinct look to the facility as well as to improve the patient comfort and environment
- Gearless, energy efficient drives and innovative solutions to lift recall for special hospital services
WGE are proud to have worked on Fiona Stanley Hospital as it truly represents a world class medical, research and education facility that will sustain generations to come.
Winner: Master Builders Association Western Australia – Best Project, Best State Government Building, Best Health Care Building Over $500m. This project is now a national finalist at the Master Builders Australia National Excellence in Building and Construction Awards.