Lawrence is an ICT Systems Engineer with over 25 years of Telecommunications and ICT Industry experience. Lawrence has extensive ICT/telecommunication experience acquired from working 16 years with Queensland Rail, three years with Project Services (QLD), and seven years with SKM/Jacobs. This experience includes voice networking (inc. PABXs, regional-wide networks), telecommunication and transmission networks (optical fibre and microwave radio), Structured Cabling designs, WAN/ CANs, LANs, Audio-visual systems, security systems, and various radio communication systems.
Lawrence is a member of the Standards Australia (Standards development) CT-001 (Communications Cabling group), CT-002 (Broadcasting and related services). Lawrence was formerly involved with ITU-T SG5 (WG) Environment and climate change, and ITU-R ARSG-5 Terrestrial services. Lawrence is also involved with Communications Alliance, assisting with Working Committee WC45: Industry Code DR C524:2013 – External Telecommunication Cable Networks Code, amongst others.
Outside of work
Lawrence is a father of four wonderful children, two girls and two boys, and it still dreaming of that chance to sleep-in.
What will you bring to a project
I’m regarded to a leading ICT Infrastructure engineer; very capable of conducting critical design integration in an iterative design process, within a multi-disciplinary team.
My focus is always on the client goals to ensure that the solutions proposed are those most appropriate from a business, functional, design, cost, and construction perspective.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical & Computer Systems)
- Adv Dip – Electronic Engineering; Dip – Telecommunications
- Certified Data Centre Designer; Certified Reichle & De-Massari (R&M) Planner
- ACMA Cabling Licence (Open, S,O,C,U,A)
- Victorian Private Security Individual (Security Adviser / Security Equipment Installer)
- Defence Neg Vett 1
Industry accreditations / bodies
- Deputy Chair Victorian ITEE College (Institute of Engineers, Australia)
- Director of BICSI (Building Industry Consulting Service International, Inc.)
Previous projects Lawrence worked on prior to joining WGE include:
- Regional Rail Link (Work Package C) – The Regional Rail Link was a major infrastructure project that removed bottlenecks in Victoria’s rail network. The project has delivered increases in capacity and reliability by separating regional and metropolitan trains in Melbourne’s west.
- Arts Centre Melbourne (Digital Radio Replacement) – A multi-staged project to design and manage the migration and delivery a DMR-T3 trunked radio solution for the Arts Centre complex in Melbourne.
- ADF Robertson Barracks redevelopment – $72.1 million to provide new and upgraded facilities for training, emergency response, working accommodation and equipment support.
- AFP Edmund Barton Building – This building was subject of a major refurbishment for the Australian Federal Police. This building contains 50,000 square metres of office space in seven wings, enclosing two courtyards.
“I was Arts Centre Melbourne’s Project Manager responsible for overseeing our two-way radio communications upgrade in 2012 and 2013.
Arts Centre Melbourne is a multi-site campus which needs high quality, robust communications to manage large visitor flows and enhance our safety and productivity.
We were very fortunate to work with Laurie McKenna. He designed a high capacity, feature rich networked solution to replace our aging, inadequate system and seamlessly implemented it in the Arts Centre’s challenging operational context. Laurie’s technical acumen, appreciation of complex organisations, project management skill and extensive experience in radio communication projects strongly recommend him to any large organisation seeking to successfully navigate this process.”
Simon Austin, Arts Centre Melbourne
“Lawrence is a knowledgeable, diligent and enthusiastic ICT Engineer who performs with excellence.”