Lawrence joined WGE in 2015 as the Telecommunications Section Manager in the Melbourne office. Lawrence has over 25 years of Telecommunications and ICT Systems Industry experience, acquired from 16 years with Queensland Rail, 3 years with Project Services (QLD) and 7 years as a Consultant in Melbourne. This experience includes voice networking (inc. PABXs, regional-wide networks), telecommunication and transmission networks (optical fibre and microwave radio), Structured Cabling designs, WAN, CANs, LANs, audio-visual systems, security systems, and WLANs, WWANs, and various radio communication systems.
Lawrence’s audio-visual experience includes emergency response rooms, control rooms, secured/unsecured conference rooms, classrooms and educational facilities, and digital signage. Lawrence has undertaken substantial security and video surveillance designs for Police Stations, Watch-houses, Courthouses, Correctional facilities, public spaces (including railway stations), and commercial facilities and buildings.
Lawrence has recently been involved with the Regional Rail Project, East-West Link Project, Melbourne Metro Tunnel Project and various Defence projects.
He is considered a leader in his field.
Outside of work
Lawrence is a father of four wonderful children, two girls and two boys, and it still dreaming of that chance to sleep-in.
What will you bring to a project
I am a Telecommunications/ICT Systems SME who is a member of two Standards committees, and also involved with two ITU working groups. I’m regarded to be very capable of conducting critical design integration in an iterative design process, within a multi-disciplinary team. My focus is always on the client goals to ensure that the solutions proposed are those most appropriate from a functional, design, cost, and construction perspective.
It is my goal to use my engineering management and knowledge to deliver a positive and tangible improvements to my community and to my clients, while respecting my commission.
- BEng (Elect & Comp Systems)
- AdvDip Electronic Engineering
- Dip Telecommunications
Industry accreditations / bodies
- Director BICSI (Building Industry Consulting Service International) – South Pacific
- MIEAust – ITEEVic Committee member
- Registered Building Practitioner (VIC)
- Private Security License (VIC)
- Defence Clearance
Previous projects Lawrence worked on prior to joining WGE include:
- Regional Rail Link (Work Package C) – The Regional Rail Link was a major infrastructure project that removed bottlenecks in Victoria’s rail network. The project has delivered increases in capacity and reliability by separating regional and metropolitan trains in Melbourne’s west.
- Arts Centre Melbourne (Digital Radio Replacement) – A multi-staged project to design and manage the migration and delivery a DMR-T3 trunked radio solution for the Arts Centre complex in Melbourne.
- ADF Robertson Barracks redevelopment – $72.1 million to provide new and upgraded facilities for training, emergency response, working accommodation and equipment support.
- AFP Edmund Barton Building – This building was subject of a major refurbishment for the Australian Federal Police. This building contains 50,000 square metres of office space in seven wings, enclosing two courtyards.
“I was Arts Centre Melbourne’s Project Manager responsible for overseeing our two-way radio communications upgrade in 2012 and 2013.
Arts Centre Melbourne is a multi-site campus which needs high quality, robust communications to manage large visitor flows and enhance our safety and productivity.
We were very fortunate to work with Laurie McKenna. He designed a high capacity, feature rich networked solution to replace our aging, inadequate system and seamlessly implemented it in the Arts Centre’s challenging operational context. Laurie’s technical acumen, appreciation of complex organisations, project management skill and extensive experience in radio communication projects strongly recommend him to any large organisation seeking to successfully navigate this process.”
Simon Austin, Arts Centre Melbourne
“Lawrence is a knowledgeable, diligent and enthusiastic ICT Engineer who performs with excellence.”