Founding partner of Vawda Thornton, Consulting Civil and Structural Engineers in Durban, 1995 (three equal partners), Grant previously spent 6 years with De Leuw Cather as an Associate in the structural division in the Durban offices.
Prior to that two years with Webb and Partners preceded by four years with BD Powell and Associates in Johannesburg, South Africa. An additional two years on construction sites with Murray and Roberts after qualifying has given Grant over 32 years’ experience in his field.
In 2002 he joined Wood & Grieve Engineers as a senior Structural Project Engineer and became a Unit Holder and Principal of the practice in 2006.In addition Grant undertakes all the Civil work for the Building Services division.
Outside of work
Grant is an exuberant man who loves playing sport with his family.
What will you bring to a project
I will bring an innovative approach to the job with a measure of practicality and a great understanding of what can and cannot be done
• Bachelor of Science Degree (four years) in Civil Engineering obtained from University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg in 1981 (Bursary ex Murray and Roberts Construction).
• Graduate Diploma in Engineering (2 years) obtained from University of Witwatersrand in 1986 – this course contains all the course work towards an MSc degree.
Industry accreditations / bodies
• Institution of Engineers Australia – Member
• Professional Engineer – Pr Eng (SA)
• Member South African Institute of Civil Engineers (MSAICE)
• Heritage Council of Western Australia – Heritage Listed Consultant
I would like to express my commendation to Mr Grant Thornton of Wood and Grieve Engineers for his commitment to delivering an uncompromising degree of innovative design and quality construction to an exceptional standard for a complex, difficult project. Grant led the engineering team from conceptual planning to the fortnightly Site Meetings that dealt with the projects construction issues. He was always readily available to assist in response to site enquiries for this asymmetrically supported mast structure building that delivered minimal internal columns and maximised the flexibility of the open Court spaces…
In my dealings with Wood and Grieve and the team, no request was too difficult and through Grant’s excellent communication skills, the discussion with the Clients, Consultants and Contractors were conducted in a co-operative and pleasant atmosphere.