Alasdair joined WGE in 2015 as Senior Structural Project Engineer in the Perth Office. He brings 25 years’ experience running large and complex multi-disciplinary projects in Australia, Russia, the UK and the UAE. With particular experience in commercial, education, leisure and transportation sectors, Alasdair is enthusiastic about quality structural design complementing good architecture and brings a strong strategic development approach to WGE’s existing structural team.
Prior to moving to Perth in 2011, he ran a multi-disciplinary office in Edinburgh, was a visiting lecturer at Dundee University School of Architecture and was a panel member for Architecture + Design Scotland, the Scottish Government’s architectural design review body, ensuring quality designs for major public sector projects.
Outside of work
Alasdair has a wife and two sons and enjoys spending time with them exploring the WA countryside. He is a keen bagpiper having played for some 32 years, winning the numerous major championships with pipe bands and has won several solo piping competitions in Perth. He has played his pipes for the Queen, the Queen mother, Vladamir Putin and Commonwealth Heads of Government as well as at various British Embassies, rock concerts and major sporting events. He has a passion for Scotch malt whisky and the works of Robert Burns and enjoys appreciating a good dram with like-minded friends. Slainte!
What will you bring to a project
I bring strong conceptual design skills and an ability to communicate and engage with design teams, clients and stakeholders throughout the life of the project. As an experienced public speaker, my skills have often been used by clients to negotiate complex planning hearings or charged public meetings. I have extensive and successful experience in leading multi-disciplinary design teams and working collaboratively with all interested parties.
• Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
Industry accreditations / bodies
• Chartered member of the Institute of Engineers Australia
• Chartered Professional Engineer
• Chartered member of the Institute of Civil Engineers (UK)
• Chartered Engineer (Engineering Council UK)
Previous projects Alasdair worked on prior to joining WGE include:
- Ferrari World, Abu Dhabi – Project Director for the $1.5bn, 300,000 m2 enclosed theme park incorporating over 20 rides and attractions under a 200,000m2 iconic roof and two external roller coasters including the world’s fastest.
- Perth Stadium Station –A six platform station with linking concourse to service the new stadium station
- Aubin Grove Station – New station to service the growing metropolitan area around Aubin Grove on the Mandurah line
- Perth Stadium (bid) – Led the multi-disciplinary engineering input to the bid design for the 60,000 seat stadium.
- Crown Towers, Perth – 23 storey, 6 star hotel and casino.
- 480 Hay Street, Perth – 22 storey Westin Hotel and commercial office development
- WAIS High Performance Centre, Perth
- Cockburn Recreation & Aquatic Centre, Perth
“We have found Alasdair to be incredibly proactive and engaging while providing immediate value to the broader international design team. We have found him responsive and helpful to our requirements with a good understanding of cross-discipline issues. We are excited to continue our relationship and would have no hesitation in recommending him.”
James Noel, Crown Perth
“Alasdair was project director on this project and we found him to be responsive and engaged throughout, working well with our construction arm and design team to develop methodologies and optimal solutions.”
Greg Hancock, Georgiou Developments
“Alasdair was very proactive and responsive in developing the solution and working with our in house virtual design construction team to address the numerous constructability and methodology considerations. This was a complex project technically, as well as contractually and we were pleased with the level of engagement.”